Aphrodisiacs are the name given to foods and other products that ignite sexual desire in honor of the goddess of love, Aphrodite.
Foods can also be aphrodisiacs if they contain substances that increase sexual arousal in men and women.
Nutrition and sex drive
Scientists say that almost all men and women between the ages of 16 and 60 are prone to libido problems. A number of factors can contribute to this, including illness and negative environmental influences. However, in any case, you should not despair.
You just need to reconsider your diet. Perhaps the body does not receive the necessary substances that maintain libido at the proper level.
Substances that affect libido:
- L-arginine. This amino acid is actively involved in the synthesis of nitric oxide, but its production decreases with age, which leads to poor blood circulation and microcirculation in the male genital organs, as well as erection problems. In order to replenish L-arginine, you need to eat more sesame seeds and nuts.
- Selenium. It affects sperm motility and the onset of an erection. The best source of selenium is oily fish.
- Zinc. It is responsible for both testosterone production and the health of the male reproductive system, thereby increasing libido. Zinc is found in seafood, mainly in oysters.
- Magnesium. Thanks to it, the body synthesizes sex hormones – androgens (male) and estrogens (female). Moreover, magnesium promotes the production of dopamine, the hormone of joy, which allows you to tune in to the right mood.
- Vitamin A. It is necessary for the synthesis of progesterone, the sex hormone. It can be found in yellow, red, and green vegetables and fruits.
- Vitamin B1. It is responsible for the transmission of nerve impulses and energy production, and its lack negatively affects erection. Sources of vitamin B1 include asparagus, sunflower seeds, and cilantro.
- Vitamin C. It participates in the synthesis of sex hormones – androgens, estrogen, and progesterone, thereby affecting both libido and the ability to reproduce offspring. You can enrich your body with it by introducing rose hips and citrus fruits into your diet.
- Vitamin E. A powerful antioxidant, which, among other things, is responsible for the synthesis of hormones. Sources of vitamin E are vegetable oils, seeds, and nuts.
Foods that increase libido in men:
- Banana. It contains bromelain, which increases male libido. In addition, it contains potassium and B vitamins, which also have a positive effect on sexual desire.
- Seafood, in particular, oysters. They are rich in zinc and protein, which contribute to the production of testosterone.
- Dark chocolate. It helps the body synthesize the “hormone of joy” and has an antioxidant effect.
- Fish. It contains omega-3 polyunsaturated acids, which are actively involved in the production of sex hormones. In addition, according to nutritionist Shauna Wilkinson, these acids “improve blood circulation, increase sensitivity, and contribute to an increase in the level of dopamine, the ‘hormone of happiness’ in the body.”
- Peanuts. This is a great source of L-arginine.
- Brazil nuts. It is an excellent source of selenium.
- Cardamom. One of the most powerful aphrodisiacs. It can be added to main dishes or coffee. But, most importantly, do not overdo it, because in large quantities it suppresses male potency, while in small quantities it enhances it.
- Dairy products and eggs. They contain B vitamins that prevent chronic fatigue and stress.
- Watermelon. It contains L-arginine, as well as citrulline, which contributes to its synthesis.