If you suffer from heartburn, a banana can relieve the unpleasant feeling of rising stomach acid. We explain why the fruit can help in this case.
Banana against heartburn – this is how the fruit helps
The nutrients in bananas make the fruit generally healthy.
- For example, a banana contains plenty of potassium. This mineral has an alkalizing effect. This means that potassium can neutralize stomach acid a little.
- If you eat a banana, the fruit also stimulates the production of mucus in the stomach.
- If the gastric mucosa produces enough of it, this also protects against heartburn.
- Starchy foods, which incidentally also include white bread or rusks in addition to bananas, bind stomach acid.
Prevent heartburn with the right diet
- If you pay a little attention to your diet, you can prevent heartburn from developing in the first place.
- Avoid foods that stimulate acid production in the stomach. In addition to hot spices, this also includes carbonated drinks.
- You should also eliminate chocolate and citrus fruits from your diet if you are prone to heartburn.
- The same goes for very greasy foods, as well as anything fried.