The shelf life of sausages is usually indicated on the packaging. After opening it is important not to miss the moment when the product is no longer fit for consumption and can be very dangerous to your health.
In order not to risk it, you need to remember a few simple signs and rules on how to know if the sausage has gone bad.
Shelf life of packaged sausages
The shelf life of vacuum-packed sausages is the longest. If it is not opened, the sausages remain suitable for up to 35 days if stored in the refrigerator. In this case, the sausages should not go bad.
How many days you can eat open sausages
If the package is opened, the shelf life of sausages will also depend on what kind of casing they are in. The natural casing will keep the product in the refrigerator for about three days. Sausages in polyethylene casings will last a maximum of two days. And if the casing is made of a polyamide substance, the sausages will remain edible for up to ten days.
Remember, it is important to store the sausages in the refrigerator. At room temperature, the shelf life of the ready product will be longer, but raw sausages will spoil after 3-4 hours.
How to extend the shelf life of sausages
It is best not to open the package until you use the product. This will help to extend the shelf life.
Raw sausages can be sent to the freezer. For the greatest effect, the product should be wrapped tightly in cling film, foil, and paper, or simply placed in a bag.
Observing all the conditions, the quality of sausages can be preserved for a couple of months and safely use.
How to know if the sausage has gone bad
One sign that sausages or wieners are no longer suitable is the appearance of a pungent sour smell. A sticky or slippery foam may form on the surface of the product. Some products become darker or even moldy.
Also, the deterioration of the product may indicate the formation of droplets of moisture under the casing.
What it means if sausages are shriveled
If the sausages shriveled at any kind of heat treatment, it means that the manufacturer added too much water or carrageenan to the product. This is a natural gelling agent that is used to improve the consistency of sausage products.
It is believed that carrageenan is not dangerous. However, experts warn that in excessive quantities it can cause inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, we should be careful.