There are many ways to freeze berries – some housewives keep them whole, while others grind them with sugar. Both of these methods have the right to exist, but they are far from universal.
How to properly store berries for the winter – nuances
At first glance, it seems that there is nothing difficult about freezing fresh berries – simply pour them into a bag or container, and then put them in the freezer. Such an approach in fact turns against the hostess – in winter you will have to chip off the right piece of berries from the whole monolith.
To avoid this, use our tips:
- Rinse the berries in a colander under running water several times;
- Place them on a towel until they are perfectly dry;
- Cut off the stalks and pips if desired;
- Place the berries on a baking tray lined with parchment paper;
- place the tray with the berries in the freezer for 4 hours until firm;
- Pack the berries in a bag or dump them into a container.
IMPORTANT: do not touch the berries with your hands – they will be sticky to your hands. It’s better to gently lift the parchment and pry the berries with a wooden spoon. It is also not superfluous to put a sticker on the container with the date and the name of the fruit. Remember that frozen berries can be stored in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months – a longer period will negatively affect the taste characteristics.
How to make berries, grated with sugar for the winter
This method is suitable for those who plan to use berries for cooking or add them to tea. The only disadvantage is the labor-intensive process, but berries, grated with sugar, retain more vitamins than jam.
Raspberries, blackberries, currants, blueberries, and even strawberries can be frozen with sugar. It is very easy to do:
- Peel the berries, removing the stalks and leaves;
- Rinse them thoroughly under running water;
- Scald them with boiling water in a colander;
- Beat berries with sugar in a combine or blender.
The finished berry mass should be transferred to containers or jars, cover and send to the freezer. Some hostesses do not add sugar during cooking – it will not affect the shelf life, so if this method suits you, you can use it.