Slippers at home get dirty quickly and lose their neat appearance if they are not washed for a long time. The shoes look crumpled and worn, and the soles become black. The slippers are washed by hand or machine and then hung vertically to dry.
How to wash homemade slippers by soaking
Usually, homemade slippers are washed by hand. To wash off old dirt and unpleasant odors, prepare a special mixture of three ingredients. This method is suitable for shoes made of any material, including rubber ones.
Fill a basin with warm water and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 2 spoons of dishwashing detergent, and 2 spoons of hydrogen peroxide. Mix until smooth. Soak your slippers in this mixture for 15 minutes. Then wipe the surface of the shoes with a brush or a stiff side of a sponge.
How to wash leather, wool, or fabric slippers
These slippers are washed in warm water with a dissolved baby or laundry soap. Take 50 grams of soap per 10 liters of water and shavings. Leave the water in soapy water for 20 minutes and wash with a pumice stone or brush. Wipe suede shoes with a cloth. After washing, dry your slippers with a towel and hang them to dry.
How to wash slippers in a washing machine
You can wash quality cloth slippers without decorations in the machine. Carefully inspect all the seams on the shoes – they must be intact, otherwise, they will come apart after washing. The algorithm for washing slippers is as follows.
- Place the slippers in a cloth bag or in a pillowcase in an empty drum.
- Pour laundry gel into the detergent compartment. Do not use detergent.
- Set the “Hand wash”, “Delicate” or “Shoes” mode.
- Select a temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.
- Turn off the spin.
- Start the wash.
- Dry slippers after washing at room temperature. You can put the paper inside them to absorb excess moisture.
How to remove unpleasant odor from slippers
If an unpleasant smell is left on the shoes after washing, it can be removed in several ways.
- Treat dry slippers with shoe deodorant.
- Pour baking soda inside the slippers and leave it for 20 minutes, then vacuum it up.
- Stuff the wet slippers with crumpled newspaper or toilet paper. They will absorb odors.
- Wipe the inside with cotton soaked in antiseptic or chlorhexidine.