Utility bills for heating and electricity force Ukrainians to significantly save on heating their homes. Regular shelling also plays a role – it causes the radiators to become cold, and it is impossible to turn on the heater without light.
How to heat the entrance door in a private house or apartment – options
In order to quickly and qualitatively insulate the door, you need to choose the right technique and insulation. Experts on this issue name only three of the most successful ways:
- To beat the door leaf with insulation;
- Treat all cracks and holes with sealant;
- Add seals to the door frame.
That said, wool is the most reliable and proven option with which to insulate doors. But at the same time, this material quickly absorbs moisture, which leads to icing and the spread of the fungus.
That is why it is better to buy some more durable insulation instead of wool:
- foam – practical, but just like wool, powerless against moisture, so you need to change it every 2-3 years;
- Styrofoam is a light and cheap material, you can buy any piece at the market and cut it into strips of the required size;
- Polyurethane foam is an expensive insulation material, but it perfectly seals all the cracks, is water- and vapor-tight, and has a high level of resistance to chemical attack;
- Mineral wool – a soft material, environmentally friendly, does not let the cold in, does not decay, is not subject to fire, but over time, is “knocked down” by the weight of the door.
Also as insulation, many Ukrainians use liquid nails, installation foam, demanding, scotch tape, sheets of plywood, and more.
How to insulate a metal entrance door – instructions
Before you start to improve the “gateway to the home,” you should pay attention to the quality of your door. As a rule, metal structures are two plates, between which there is some cheap raw material – cardboard, for example. Your task is to fill this space with a warmer filler.
The technology is as follows:
- remove the door from its hinges, remove all the applied parts (peephole, lock, and everything else);
- To dismantle one of the door leaves or remove the paneling and then cut out the leaf;
Fill the cavities inside with filler
The gaps between pieces of material are better to fill with installation foam, then in the end you will only have to return the canvas in place and screw back all the removable elements.
How to insulate a wooden entrance door – recommendations
Insulation of wooden doors as well as in the case of metal structures has its own nuances. At a minimum, they can be double and single. If your option is the first, then insulate the doors by analogy with the previous instructions. In case you have doors consisting of a single leaf, you can upholster them with foam and add a layer of leatherette on top.
IMPORTANT: keep in mind that it is better to mount the foam at a distance of at least 5 mm from the edge of the door leaf, otherwise the door will not open and close freely.