Rust is a reddish-brown deposit that can form on any metal object as a result of oxidation. It is not only visually unattractive but also dangerous – it destroys metal and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.
How to quickly remove rust from metal with vinegar
If you notice that rust has appeared on some metal household items – use ordinary table vinegar. The technology is simple:
- Take the items covered with the scale;
- soak them in undiluted 9% vinegar for 24 hours;
- Remove with gloves on and rinse under running water.
In case you still have rust stains on the treated objects, you can additionally treat them with vinegar and leave them for a few hours. Then arm yourself with a stiff brush and rub the problem areas.
IMPORTANT: After vinegar, the metal will be vulnerable to external influences, so it is better to treat it with grease.
How you can remove rust from metal with citric acid
This remedy is a real wand for any housewife. Citric acid is available in any kitchen and perfectly copes with many contaminants, including rust. It’s easy to use:
- Degrease the surface of the rusty object;
- dissolve in warm water the acid in the ratio of 80 g of the product in 100 ml of water;
- Soak the objects for 24 hours.
In a couple of hours, you will see how the rusty parts of the kitchen utensils flake off. After the specified time, the objects will be completely clean – you will only have to rinse them under running water. Interestingly, after treatment with citric acid, a protective film is formed on the metal, which prevents corrosion.
How to remove rust from metal in the bathroom with baking soda
Baking soda is often used by housewives for cleaning – this means is absolutely safe and cleans almost any dirt. So it is with rust, but the main thing is to use baking soda correctly:
- dissolve the baking soda in warm water so that you get a pulp;
- apply it to the affected object;
- leave it for 30 minutes, then scrub it with a brush and wash it off with water.
Note that baking soda for metal is quite aggressive, the surface of the product will become less resistant to rust. Therefore, treat the items with some kind of sealer.