Each apartment has its own unique smell – it is formed due to many factors. Sometimes it happens that the apartment begins to smell unpleasant – at this point, it is important to find the source of the stench and get rid of it quickly.
A strange smell in the apartment or house – causes
Before getting rid of an unpleasant odor, it is necessary to find its source. Most often, the cause of the disgusting “ambergris” are:
- garbage can – sprinkle with bleach, wash and air it out, and take out the garbage regularly;
- cat bowls and bedding – wash with baby soap and water (powders and detergents should not be used);
- laundry basket – do not keep it in the bathroom, wash laundry at once, not in layers;
- bed linen – wash once a week;
- washing machine – open the door, clean the powder tray, wipe the water off the cuff;
- dishwasher – regularly clean the baskets and insides, run the drying mode.
Strange as it may seem, the cause of unpleasant odor can also be new furniture – there are volatile organic compounds in the composition of materials. If you’re constantly breathing them in, sooner or later you will feel problems with breathing or symptoms of allergies. In this situation, only an air purifier with the charcoal filter or furniture return will help.
How to eliminate the penetrating smell – folk methods
In order to quickly get rid of unwanted odors in the home, you can
- do a general cleaning;
- boil water and vinegar in the kitchen and ventilate the room;
- Roast citrus fruit peels on the stove;
- placing jars of coffee beans around the apartment;
- buy and light aromatic sticks;
- hang teabags around the house and open windows;
- put canvas bags of herbs in cupboards and drawers;
- make an aroma lamp with essential oils;
- Use a home perfume that you buy.
If you have a smoker in your apartment, sooner or later all the furniture in the house will become saturated with tobacco smoke. To alleviate the situation will help wet towels – you need to hang them on the surfaces and open the window, and then wash the towels, as they will absorb the unpleasant smell.