- 2 Pc. Organic orange juice
- 220 g Whey substitute: water approx.
- 300 g Wholemeal spelt flour
- 250 g Whole wheat flour
- 250 g Wheat flour type 550
- 100 g Sourdough mixture (optional)
- 6 g Dry yeast
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 Pc. Organic oranges (zest)
- 300 g Carrots fine grater
- 3 g Dried ginger
- 16 g Salt
- 100 g Sunflower seeds
- 100 g Pumpkin seeds
- 100 g Wholemeal spelt flour
- 100 g Whole wheat flour
- 1 Pc. Loaf pan 35 cm
Autolysis dough (working time 40 min)
- Rub the peel of the oranges and set aside. Peel the oranges and use the hand blender to puree the fillets. Weigh the juice. For me it was 300gr .. For the autolysis dough, I aimed for a humidity of 65%. So a total of 520gr. Liquid in the dough - add the missing liquid with whey or water. So for me 220gr. (See approximate information under the ingredients).
- Add the sourdough mixture (significantly less is enough - 20 - 40gr. - but I have it in the fridge myself and don't like to throw it away). Stir the yeast and honey and everything together. Then add the flour and stir and knead the solage until everything is well mixed and a compact dough is formed. Cover and let rest for 2 hours.
Main dough (working time 40 min)
- Grate the ginger (I get the dried ones finely grated) and grate the carrots on the fine grater. Mix with the salt, the orange zest and the ginger and set aside until the dough has left to rest.
- After the resting time, add the carrot, orange, ginger and salt mixture to the dough. So did the sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Mix briefly with the food processor. The carrots bring a lot of moisture again, so now add the additional flour to the very moist dough and knead for 7-10 minutes until the dough is elastic.
- Leave the main dough in the oven for 3 hours. Meanwhile, stretch vigorously at least 3, up to 6 times and fold again.
Shape bread (working time 20 minutes)
- Grease the baking pan well. Place the dough on the lightly floured work surface, shape it and put it in the baking pan (35 cm). 45 to 60 minutes piece cooked. Preheat the oven to 230 ° C for 30 minutes.
Bake bread (baking time 50 - 55 minutes)
- Brush the bread with water and, if you like, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and put in the oven and bake for 10 minutes at 230 ° C. Briefly give steam once. Then reduce the heat to 210 ° C top / bottom heat. Bake for another 40-45 minutes. If the surface browns too quickly, apply aluminum foil. After baking, take the bread out of the mold as soon as possible and let it cool down on a rack.
- The bread has the typical spelled taste, a little nutty and a slight - not unpleasant - hint of bitterness. That's the orange peel, maybe the ginger too. The light orange color of the bread comes from them and from the carrots, of course. The crust is crispy and firm, which I attribute to the whey. The crumb is elastic and, because of the use of sourdough, may mature for 24 hours before cutting.
- The idea for the bread is a knowledge transfer and comes from a separate recipe (orange nougat brioche). I used organic dry yeast for this. Organic yeast needs a longer steeping time. The whey used is a by-product of my cheese dairy (ricotta - making the cheese yourself). The sourdough can be omitted entirely. Your own sourdough (Swabian souls with a recipe for wheat sourdough) should be "fed" regularly. Since it increases and I don't want to throw it away, I put it in the bread dough. The ripening period is too short for him - but he doesn't end up in the trash.