You can cook cauliflower and broccoli together. Both types of vegetables behave similarly when cooked. In this article, we explain what you need to know about this.
Cooking cauliflower and broccoli together: instructions
Cauliflower and broccoli both share similar cooking characteristics. Therefore both can be cooked together.
- It is best to use fresh vegetables that you buy in one piece for the preparation. Cut off the cabbage florets.
- Remove the stalk. Also, rinse the vegetables with a little water.
- Since cauliflower can take a little longer to cook, the florets should be cut slightly smaller than the broccoli florets.
- Put water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and then salt it. First, add broccoli and cauliflower to the boiling water. Otherwise, the water movement could cause the vegetables to fall apart too quickly.
- Set the stove on medium heat. Let the vegetables cook for a maximum of ten minutes. Be careful not to overcook the water as the broccoli in particular could fall apart.
- Check again and again with a fork whether the vegetables are al dente. Then take it off the stove and put it in a colander.
- If you like, you can also cook the vegetables in a steamer or steam them in a pan. These methods are gentler on the vegetables because most of the vitamins are retained during preparation.