The mushroom season is in full swing, but not everyone can enjoy this autumnal delicacy. Due to the large amount of chitin, which is poorly digested, the beneficial “mushroom” substances are not very well absorbed.
But under the influence of acid in the stomach, chitin is converted into chitosan. This substance can lower cholesterol levels by preventing the absorption of fats and binding lipids. Thus, mushrooms can help maintain healthy blood vessels and heart, and lower blood pressure, but there is also a “dark side” of mushrooms.
Why are mushrooms dangerous?
As you know, mushrooms are rich in protein, and protein, if consumed in excess of the required amount, puts a great strain on the body’s enzymatic system and can easily cause exacerbation of chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Therefore, mushrooms are among those foods whose consumption must be dosed. In no case should mushrooms be included in a mono diet, as a protein diet is dangerous to health. It changes metabolism and disrupts oxidation processes. For a healthy person, it is enough to eat one mushroom dish a day 3 times a week.
If we talk about forest mushrooms or those that grow “in nature,” it is important to remember that they, like a sponge, absorb various substances from the soil, including harmful ones. Therefore, if mushrooms are collected in an unfavorable climatic zone or near highways, they accumulate harmful substances that pose a health hazard. Therefore, when you buy mushrooms at a spontaneous market, you take a risk because you don’t know for sure where they were picked.
For whom mushrooms are contraindicated:
- people with individual intolerance;
- patients with severe chronic pancreatitis;
- allergy sufferers;
- people with severe dysbiosis;
- children under 14 years of age, as the enzymatic system of the child’s body, is still quite immature.