- 4 Pc. Floury potatoes
- 1 Pc. Onion
- 1 Pc. Egg
- Oil for frying
- What are hash browns? Hash browns are called Röstis or potato pancakes in German. In the USA they are known under the term "Hash Browns" mainly from the fast food chain McDonalds. The classic "McDonalds Hash Browns" do not exist in Germany, so here is the recipe that you can make yourself.
- The name of these crispy little flatbreads comes from the French “hacher”, which means “chop” in German. So hash browns are literally chopped up browned potatoes. They are served for breakfast, but are also suitable as an accompaniment to many hearty dishes.
- The egg helps hold the hash browns together. With a little practice you can do without them, then the Hash Browns are even vegan! With or without an egg - it is important with the Hash Browns that you wash excess starch from the grated potatoes and really only turn them over once, otherwise they will disintegrate or become too full of oil. However, they don't have to stick together as strongly as the German potato pancakes. Sometimes hash browns are even served cut into pieces - the main thing is that they are crispy and brown.
This is how it's done:
- Grate the potatoes on a coarse grater. Put in a sieve and let water run over it until it runs clear. Then place the grated potatoes in a clean tea towel and squeeze out vigorously until no more water comes out.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Mix the potatoes with the onion cubes and the egg thoroughly. Season well.
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan on medium heat. Put the potato mixture into the hot oil either as a large flatbread or in circles about 5 cm.
- Fry the hash browns until they are brown and crispy, then turn them once (!) And let them brown on the other side. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Tip 9: If you boil the potatoes for about 7 minutes before grating (they must not be soft), a lot of water will be bound by the starch. In this way, the grated potatoes can be frozen very well and they are quickly at hand when things have to be done quickly.