Invisible “Poison” for the Body: What Happens if You Eat Bread With Mold

Mold on bread or other bakery products can appear if the product is stored longer than its expiration date and in unacceptable conditions. However, there are cases when bread goes moldy the very next day after it is purchased. This can be caused by the manufacturer’s failure to comply with the required sanitary standards, improper storage, underbaking, etc.

No matter what color the mold on the bread is, you can’t eat it. And it won’t help to simply cut off the affected parts of the bread, because invisible fungal spores can spread throughout the product, and you won’t see it with the naked eye or even know about it.

You should also throw away foods that have touched moldy bread or been in the same package with it.

When the bread has been in your home for a long time, but there are no visible signs of mold on it yet, be guided by the smell and taste, because at the initial stage of spoilage, it is difficult to notice the first signs with the naked eye.

If you eat a small piece, it may not affect your body. However, the larger the amount of such bread that enters your body, the more dangerous the consequences can be.

A moldy product is dangerous because mold has a toxic effect on our bodies. Such a blow will be more severe for the health of a person who has a weakened immune system.

Eating bread with mold can cause allergies and lead to various diseases. In case of severe toxicity, food poisoning can occur.

In case of severe poisoning, it is better to seek medical help.

Avatar photo

Written by Emma Miller

I am a registered dietitian nutritionist and own a private nutrition practice, where I provide one-on-one nutritional counseling to patients. I specialize in chronic disease prevention/ management, vegan/ vegetarian nutrition, pre-natal/ postpartum nutrition, wellness coaching, medical nutrition therapy, and weight management.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Physalis: How is This Berry Useful and Can it Be Poisoned

Watermelons: Who is Useful and Who is Harmful to Eat Delicious Striped Berries