Anyone can buy fortune cookies! You can also make fortune cookies yourself. Homemade fortune cookies with individual wishes and good luck messages are a great idea for New Year’s Eve.
This year you don’t have to buy fortune cookies in the Asian shop or supermarket, you can simply bake them yourself. The highlight: you can fill each biscuit with an individual wish. Funny, loving, thoughtful – you decide which message your guests will find in the crispy biscuit.
But for all-round perfect fortune cookies you need a bit of finesse and patience. Tip: If necessary, make double the amount of dough – in case the first biscuits don’t turn out nice.
Ingredients for about 20 fortune cookies:
- 60 grams of flour
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Small pieces of paper with self-written messages of happiness
- Baking paper, pencil, glass, possibly muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (circulating air).
- Lightly beat the egg whites with the water and salt until fluffy.
- Mix the flour and powdered sugar and mix with the other ingredients until a smooth dough forms. Chill the dough for about an hour.
- Draw three circles about eight centimeters in diameter on the parchment paper. (Tip: Bake a maximum of three biscuits at the same time. When they come out of the oven, you have to fold them quickly, otherwise the dough will become hard!)
Take a tablespoon of dough and spread it in a circle on the baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake the fortune cookies for about five minutes. When the edges turn golden brown, it’s time to remove them from the oven.
- When the cookies come out of the oven, it has to be quick! First put the note on the biscuit.
- Then carefully loosen the biscuit from the baking paper with a knife, fold in half and bend over the rim of a glass. Let cool in the wells of a muffin tin. Warning: the biscuits are very hot!
- Cotton gloves are helpful.
- If the biscuits are not hard enough: Simply bake them again in the muffin tin.
Tip: Store the fresh fortune cookies in an airtight container.
By the way: Fortune cookies are a great idea for wrapping birthday wishes or messages for weddings and Valentine’s Day in an original way. The marriage proposal can also be romantically hidden in a home-baked fortune cookie.