Oatmeal is very easy to make yourself from oatmeal. We explain how to make the flour and what you can use it for.
Here’s how you can make your own oatmeal
To make oatmeal yourself, all you need is oatmeal and a kitchen utensil – there are various ways to mix and grind.
- When buying the oat flakes, make sure you grab the fine version, as these oat flakes are much easier to crush. If you produce oatmeal because of gluten intolerance, you should pay attention to the ‘gluten-free’ label on the packaging.
- The easiest way to chop the oat flakes is to use a hand blender or a similar kitchen appliance. Blend the flakes, stirring occasionally to break them all up.
- The oat flakes can also be crushed manually. Flour can be produced very well with a coffee or grain mill. You can also crush the oat flakes with a mortar and pestle, but the flour consistency will not be as fine.
What can you use oatmeal for?
In principle, oat flour can be used in all recipes instead of wheat flour.
- Oatmeal gives baked goods or other foods a slightly chewy consistency than wheat flour because it does not contain gluten. If you want to completely replace the wheat flour with oat flour in a recipe, it is sufficient to use three-quarters of the amount specified for wheat flour.
- If you only replace part of the wheat flour with oat flour, the consistency will be fluffier. The oatmeal also gives it a slightly nutty taste.
- An example of an oatmeal recipe is healthy butter cookies with coconut blossom sugar. You need 150 grams of oat flour, 60 grams of ground almonds, 50 grams of coconut blossom sugar, 125 grams of butter, and a pinch of ground vanilla.
- Knead the ingredients into a dough and then wrap it in foil and leave it in the fridge for at least thirty minutes.
- Form the dough into four rolls and cut off slices about one to two centimeters thick. You can use these straight away or form balls out of them and then flatten them with a fork.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 minutes at 180 degrees and then let them cool on a wire rack. If you like, you can sprinkle them with powdered sugar.