Suitable vegetables for homemade vegetable chips
Vegetable chips taste good, unfortunately, many finished products contain ingredients that are not so good for your health. In doing so, they destroy the healthy properties of the vegetable. The solution: you make your own vegetable chips. So you know exactly what’s inside.
- The classic are chips made from potatoes. However, many other types of vegetables are also suitable.
- In addition to carrots and parsnips, you can also make crispy chips from sweet potatoes or radishes.
- Even beetroot and savoy cabbage can be used to make chips. “Kale chips”, i.e. chips made from kale, are also popular. We will show you how to prepare this superfood in another article.
- You can prepare the chips in the oven. However, if you use a dehydrator, you will retain many of the healthy nutrients and vitamins in the vegetables. Since the chips in such a device are only heated to 42 degrees, snacks prepared in this way are considered particularly good for your health.
How to make vegetable chips yourself
Once you have decided on one or more types of vegetables, you can start. Apart from vegetables, all you need is some olive oil and salt. Depending on your taste, you can also use other spices such as paprika powder or curry.
- First, the vegetables are thoroughly washed and, if necessary, peeled. Then cut it into very fine slices – the finer the slices, the crispier the chips will be. The easiest way to do this is with a vegetable cutter.
- In a bowl, mix salt with a little olive oil and any other spices. If you prepare the vegetable chips in the dehydrator, you do not need any oil. By the way, you will also find instructions on how to build a dehydrator yourself.
- Now put the vegetable slices in the oil and the spices and mix everything together so that the vegetables are well covered with the spices.
- Spread the chips evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The vegetable chips can then be crispy in the oven at 140 degrees circulating air. This takes between 40 and 50 minutes. During this time, you should open the oven door from time to time so that moisture can escape.
- You should check the chips in the oven more often anyway. The way from “crisp” to “burnt” is short. So feel free to try a chip when you think the snack is done.
- As already mentioned, if you prepare your vegetable chips in the dehydrator, you can do without oil. Simply distribute the seasoned chips on the shelves. Which program you have to set varies depending on the device. Therefore, consult the operating instructions for your dehydrator.