Radishes are the perfect vitamin snack during pregnancy. In this article you will find out why the garden radish is so healthy and what nutrients it contains. We also tell you what you should pay attention to when preparing and eating.
Radishes during pregnancy: Rich in vitamins and minerals
Radishes are considered a healthy snack during pregnancy. The advantages of the radish are quickly listed: it is rich in vitamins and minerals, has a high water content and is low in calories. In addition, the radish provides a certain spice in the salad and on the bread. The pink-red tuber also looks good.
- Per 100 grams, radishes contain 240 milligrams of potassium , 26 milligrams of calcium , and 20 milligrams of sodium .
- In addition, the garden radish provides 29 milligrams of vitamin C and 0.025 milligrams of folic acid (vitamin B9), which is particularly important at the beginning of pregnancy.
- The nutritional value is very low at 15 kilocalories . In total, 100 grams of radishes consist of 2.1 grams of carbohydrates, 1.1 grams of proteins and 0.1 grams of fat.
Amount and preparation during pregnancy
You can snack on radishes between meals or add them to salads and spreads. In general, it is advisable to eat the vegetables raw. When you cook it, a lot of the vitamins are lost.
- Before eating, you should wash the radishes thoroughly under running water. Carefully remove any soil residue and other dirt.
- If you use organic radishes, you can eat the leaves as well. Prepare these in hot water in a similar way to spinach leaves. Perfect as a side dish or for a salad.
- During pregnancy, you should eat a maximum of five radishes per day. The reason is not the mustard oils that provide the sharpness, but the draining effect. If you drink too much, you may have to go to the toilet all the time.
- Back to the mustard oils: The concentration in the tuber is so low that you don’t have to worry about the consequences if you are pregnant. This can lead to slight digestive problems. If you have a sensitive stomach, radishes can cause bloating.
- By the way: radish plants are undemanding. You can easily plant the bulbous plant in the garden or on the balcony. Sow the seeds from March. Four to six weeks later you can harvest the first radishes.