For the eggplant:
- 1 liter Water
- 1,5 tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Citric acid, crystalline
- 2 small Eggplant, about 25 cm long, thin
- Olive oil
For the vegetables:
- 0,5 small Frisée salad
- 1 small Head of romaine lettuce
- 5 Tomatoes, red, fully ripe
- 60 g Ricotta
- 8 small Onions, red
- 8 Snow peas blanched
- 4 Olives, black, pitted
For the dough:
- 1 tbsp Wheat flour, type 405
- 1 Egg, size M
- 1 pinch Chicken broth, Kraft bouillon
- 1 pinch Black pepper, fresh from the mill
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp White wine vinegar, mild, Italy
- 1 tbsp Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale
- 4 tbsp Tomato juice
- 2 tbsp Orange juice
- 4 Pinches Salt
- 4 Pinches Black pepper, fresh from the mill
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Prepare the eggplant:
- Mix the ingredients for the brine well. Wash the aubergines, cap both ends and cut across into approx. 5 mm thick slices.
To bathe the eggplants:
- Put in the brine, weigh down with a plate and let steep for 30 minutes. Move every now and then. Rinse well with running water and dry on a fresh tea towel. Cover with a second tea towel. Let dry for 15 minutes.
- Put the wheat flour, egg, chicken stock, and pepper in a beaker. Work into a smooth, liquid dough with the magic wand. Add about 1/3 of the aubergines to the batter.
- Heat a medium pan. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and let it get hot. Remove the aubergines from the batter using a fork. Drain briefly and slide into the pan. When the bottom edge is light brown, turn it over and fry the 2nd side in the same way. Drain the aubergines on kitchen paper and keep them ready. Continue until all of the aubergine slices are fried.
The leaf salads:
- Separate the frisée and romaine leaves from the lettuce stalk. Washed, shaken dry and laid out on a large plate.
- Wash the tomatoes and remove the stem. Cut out the stem end.
- Quarter all but one of the tomatoes lengthways, removing the seeds and separating walls. Cut the tomato quarters into fingernail-sized pieces. Place the pieces in the romana leaves. Sprinkle the ricotta mainly in the middle and over the frisée pieces.
- Cut a tomato lengthways up to 80% from below. Create 8 equal segments with 4 cuts. Bend these outwards a little.
- Remove the grains inside. Put the Romana heart in this structure and place it in the middle of the plate.
- Cap the onions at both ends, peel and cut into thin rings.
- Place the tomato with the romaine heart in the middle. Place the onion slices on the serving dish.
The sugar snap peas:
- Cut off the washed sugar snap peas at both ends. Remove the threads on each side. Blanch the snow peas for 2 minutes and rinse in ice-cold water.
- Strain and drain well. Place 1 pod in each of the areas between the romaine lettuce leaves. Cut the olives into thirds and place them around the central tomato.
Place the eggplants:
- Place the eggplants in 2 concentric circles on the salad. Mix the ingredients for the dressing. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Fry a pancake with the leftover batter for the aubergines. Possibly add an egg and some flour if there is not enough batter left. Roll up the pancake while it is still warm. Fix the roll and let it cool down. Cut crosswise into snails. Place on the salad. Form a heart around the central tomato with 4 strands from the pancake.