Spelled is being used more and more in food as it is considered a healthier grain compared to wheat flour. Under certain circumstances, spelled offers health benefits, for example, if you are affected by gluten intolerance.
Spelled as a healthier alternative to wheat
Many experts state that spelled is healthier than wheat. This is based on the following facts:
- Some people are allergic to gluten, which is found in wheat. There is also gluten in spelled but in a different form. Therefore, some people with gluten intolerance tolerate spelled better than wheat.
- Spelled has a higher protein content than wheat. Therefore, athletes often prefer grains for nutrition.
- In addition, there are more amino acids spelled than in wheat. Spelled also impresses with its magnesium content with around 130 milligrams per 100 grams of wheat only around 100 milligrams.
- Spelled contains important vitamins such as vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6. These are especially important for our nerves.
- The amino acid tryptophan, which is very important for the formation of the happiness hormone serotonin, is also contained in spelling.
- Spelled contains a higher proportion of unsaturated fatty acids and fiber. Thus, spelled is considered healthier than wheat.
Other positive aspects of spelled
Spelled flour is clearly in the lead, not only for our health and in our diet. The grain also has other positive aspects.
- Spelled flour contains more gluten than wheat, which is especially useful when baking.
- You can use spelled flour just like wheat flour – for cooking, baking, and for any pastry.
- You can also cook the whole spelled grains like rice as a side dish or use them as flakes for muesli.
- In addition, the spell has a better taste than wheat. Wheat doesn’t really taste like anything. Spelled, on the other hand, has a nutty, aromatic note.