- 80 g Sourdough starter
- 200 g Wholemeal spelt flour
- 200 g Whole milk 3.8% fat
- 1 tsp Honey
- 500 g Wheat flour type 550
- 300 g Ruch flour or wheat flour type 1050
- 15 g Yeast fresh
- 400 g Whole milk 3.8% fat
- 20 g Honey
- 50 g Water hot
- 18 g Salt
- 1 Pc. Egg
- 120 g Butter
- Mix the spelled flour with the milk, honey and the topping and leave covered for 24 hours at room temperature
- Weigh the two types of flour. Mix the yeast in the milk. Stir in the honey. Work in the weighed flour and the sourdough mixture. Mix with the mixing spoon until a homogeneous dough is formed. Cover and let stand at room temperature for one to two hours. Take the butter out of the refrigerator in good time so that it becomes soft - but do not add it yet. Dissolve the salt in the hot water and set aside to cool.
- After the proofing time, mix the butter, the egg and the water with the dissolved salt into the autolysis dough. Mix well. Knead the dough on the lightly floured work surface for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough at room temperature for another 3 hours or in the refrigerator for 24 hours. After removing it from the bowl, acclimate for 30 minutes when it comes out of the refrigerator. Form a long loaf of bread on a lightly floured work surface and place in a 35cm loaf pan. Lightly grease the baking pan with a little butter. Let rise again for 30-45 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 225 ° C. Put the baking pan in the oven and reduce the heat to 180 ° C. Bake for 10 minutes with steam. Bake without steam for another 45 minutes.
- Take the toast out of the oven and, after cooling down for a short time, turn it out of the baking pan. Let the toast cool down. It also tastes good as white bread. I cut it into slices and freeze them. The slices are then placed in the toaster frozen. That works wonderfully [;-)].
- Please note: The baking pan should be suitable for sourdough. I underestimated that. On my first try with an older baking pan, I had some of the black paint on the rind !! I bought a new one.
- The toast is still crispy on top. I like it that way. If you want it less, you can butter it. The bread also works as white bread in a box or sandwich toast. Personally, I found the taste amazing.
- 9th spelled wholemeal toast bread; Toasted bread with sourdough and toasted bread; also Stiftung Warentest: Bread, p. 25 (author: Lutz Geissler) I orientated myself and then did it differently :-)))