For the filling:
- 1 medium sized Carrot
- 0,333333 medium sized Chayote
- 0,333333 medium sized Paprika, red
- 1 Hot peppers, green, long, mild
- 8 Runner beans or green beans
- 2 Poles Asparagus, green or white, (see note)
For the flour glue:
- 2 tbsp Wheat flour, type 405
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine, (Arak Masak)
For the dip:
- Spring roll sauce ala Sanur Beach
- Sunflower oil
- Flowers and leaves
The spring roll sauce:
- If not available, prepare the spring roll sauce according to the recipe, preferably the day before (see note).
The dough shell:
- Cover the frozen dough with a tea towel and slowly defrost it. Take out 4 - 5 sheets and freeze the rest again.
The flour glue:
- Mix the flour with the rice wine to a pulp.
For the filling:
- Cut a large section lengthwise from a chayote, peel and cut lengthways into strips approx. 4x4 cm thick. 8 pieces are needed. Wash the carrot, cap both ends, peel. Cut a 4 mm thick slice lengthways. Cut further slices of the same thickness with the cut side facing down. Cut these slices lengthways into strips approx. 4 mm wide. 8 pieces are needed. Use the respective 3-cornered cuts otherwise.
- Remove the stems from a pepper, wash it, cut out a quarter, core and cut lengthways into thin strips. 4 pieces are needed. Remove the stems from the peppers, wash, halve lengthways and core. Halve each half lengthways. Wash the fresh green beans, cut them off at both ends and remove any threads that may be present. Wash and peel the fresh asparagus, cap approx. 2 cm at the bottom. Optional: cut the spring onion or leek in half lengthways and fan the pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus, carrot and chayote strips and beans for 4 minutes. No longer! They are still fried as a filling.
- 4 Garnish the serving dishes.
From the pastry casings to the spring rolls:
- Place the vegetable ingredients in the pastry case so that something protrudes to the right and left. Drizzle each spring roll with 1 tbsp of the dip sauce. Smear the top end of the roll with the flour glue. Roll up the pancake lengthways and glue it to the end. The Balinese spring rolls are not closed on the right and left as they are not fried.
Fry spring rolls:
- Heat 4 tbsp sunflower oil in a pan and fry the 4 spring rolls until crispy brown. Transfer to the prepared serving bowls. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the dip, serve warm and enjoy as a starter.
- This sauce tastes completely different to commercial spring roll sauces and should definitely be used. For 2 people this is a full meal. The white part of the leek or the spring onion can also be used instead of the asparagus.
- Springrollsauce ala Sanur Beach, see: Springrollsauce ala Sanur Beach