Utilize a whole head of cabbage – that’s not so easy if only one or two people live in the household. It is advisable to reach for the pointed cabbage, which can do everything from salad to roulade.
Pointed cabbage can be recognized by its pointed shape. Since the cabbage heads are significantly smaller compared to white cabbage, pointed cabbage is well suited for smaller households, according to the Provincial Association of Rheinischer Obst- und Gemüsebauer.
Using up a pointed cabbage is even easier when you look at the many possible uses. The vegetables can be processed into raw vegetable salads, cabbage rolls, stews, or casseroles. Or you can serve it steamed as an accompaniment to meat dishes.
This keeps pointed cabbage fresh for longer
The leaves of the pointed cabbage are particularly tender, according to the fruit and vegetable growers. For this reason, the cabbage is cooked faster than other varieties.
To keep pointed cabbage fresh for a few days in the fridge, wrap it in a damp cloth, and advise fruit and vegetable growers. So it stays fresh even if you haven’t completely used it yet.
Freeze pointed cabbage: This is important to note
If you should have bought too much-pointed cabbage, you can simply freeze it. To ensure that the cabbage retains as many vitamins as possible, you should blanch it first and not put it raw in the freezer. Blanched pointed cabbage also has the advantage that it is less mushy after defrosting.
And this is how you proceed:
- Wash the pointed cabbage and remove the outer leaves.
- Quarter the cabbage and remove the large stalk.
- Cut the cabbage into bite-sized strips or cubes.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add cabbage strips or cubes to the hot water and leave to soak for about two minutes.
- Pour off the water with a sieve and quench the cabbage pieces evenly with ice-cold water.
- Let the pointed cabbage dry well so that it is not frozen wet.
- Portion the cabbage and place in cans or bags in the freezer. Tip: Make sure there is not too much air in the container to avoid freezer burn.
The pointed cabbage can be stored in the freezer for about eight months. If you want to prepare it, you can simply put it directly into the saucepan. However, it is also possible to let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours and then process it.