Barley grass, also known as “green gold”, is often touted as a “superfood” and is often used when breastfeeding. In this guide you will find out from us what is so special about straws and what you should pay attention to during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Barley grass during pregnancy and breastfeeding: rich in vitamins and other healthy substances
Barley grass is the young stalk of barley. We know barley as a grain that is used, among other things, to produce alcoholic beverages. Barley grass is considered a bulging nutrient bomb, which makes it popular with pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Barley grass is one of the foods with a high nutrient density. It’s said to have seven times more vitamin C than oranges, 11 times more calcium than cow’s milk, and five times more iron than broccoli. Sounds tempting at first – but the grain stalk is not a ” superfood “. At least not more than fresh fruit and vegetables. According to the Federal Center for Nutrition , you would have to consume a very high amount of barley grass in order to achieve the recommended daily dose of vitamins and minerals.
- The “green gold” is a good addition to an otherwise balanced diet. Specifically, barley grass is rich in iron, potassium, vitamin C, folic acid, B vitamins and calcium. It also contains omega 3 fatty acids, copper and magnesium. All minerals and trace elements that are essential for the development of the fetus during pregnancy.
- In addition, the sweet grass scores with a high enzyme density (mainly proteins), a large number of bioflavonoids and plenty of chlorophyll. Another plus: barley grass is gluten-free.
- There are a lot of carbohydrates in barley grass. 100 grams of fresh barley grass has 300 calories. With the high energy density, it is no wonder that the plant is often used as feed for fattening.
Dose correctly and benefit from the healthy superfood
As you can see, barley grass is very well suited to providing women with sufficient vitamins and minerals during pregnancy and breastfeeding. However, there are still a few things you should pay attention to.
- If you already consume barley grass regularly and feel comfortable with this dosage, you should maintain this amount during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- If you only want to start with the superfood during pregnancy or breastfeeding, you should discuss this with your doctor or midwife beforehand. The reason: At the beginning of the intake, barley grass can have a detox effect. Certain (poisonous) substances are discharged from the body via the bloodstream. The substances can thus pass to the unborn child or breast milk.
- Barley weed novices should start with a low dosage. You can always improve. It is also important that you do not exceed the manufacturer’s recommended daily dose. If you eat too much barley grass, side effects can also occur with this herbal product.
Only use quality products
You can get barley grass in health food stores or in online shops as freshly squeezed juice, powder or tablets. The shape of the product is usually irrelevant and a matter of taste. What is more important, however, is the quality of the product.
- Only use high-quality products that have been tested by a laboratory. So you can be sure that the barley grass is free of toxins or pesticides.
- High-quality barley grass products are usually raw products. During processing, the barley grass was not heated above 38 to 42 degrees. This preserves the vitamins and minerals it contains.
- If the word “raw product” sets off your alarm bells – keyword raw milk cheese and sushi during pregnancy – we can put your mind at ease. Barley grass is considered a raw product similar to coffee or cocoa, which are just as safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- When buying barley grass, you should also make sure that the manufacturer provides information on any traces of gluten contained in the barley grass. This is especially important if you suffer from gluten intolerance.
Can pregnant lady drink barley?
Barley is one of the oldest cereal grains consumed around the globe in the form of bread, stews, malt, or soups. It is safe to consume barley during pregnancy in moderation. Anecdotal evidence suggests the use of barley water to reduce common pregnancy symptoms.
Does barley cause miscarriage?
Barley has a stimulating effect on the smooth muscle of the uterus and can cause contraction of the uterine. This can trigger miscarriage. It is therefore forbidden for the pregnant women to have this drink.
Does barley increase amniotic fluid?
There is no such significant evidence that increases amniotic fluid level.
Is it safe to drink barley tea while pregnant?
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is also best to avoid barley tea since it can prevent lactation and cause complications. Make sure to check with your doctor before consuming barley tea when pregnant or taking other medications.
Does barley water affect pregnancy?
Barley has a nutty flavor, and barley water for pregnant ladies is beneficial as it helps maintain their health during pregnancy. Drinking barley water regularly helps prevent many potential health issues and provides nourishment to the body. Additionally, you can add it to your salads, stews, and steamed vegetables.