Cream sauce: This is how the simple recipe works
A cream sauce is quick to make and goes well with pasta, rice, and potatoes, but can also be served with fish and meat dishes. For the basic recipe, you only need water, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, and whipped cream as well as flour and butter for the roux or alternatively sauce thickener. A very simple recipe for the cream sauce can look like this:
- If you decide to make the roux, melt some butter in the saucepan and then add about 30 grams of flour.
- Mix everything together and let it simmer briefly before adding the remaining ingredients, stirring constantly. Tip: If you are working with the sauce binder, this step is not necessary.
- Deglaze the roux with 350 milliliters of vegetable stock or put the vegetable stock in a saucepan if you want to thicken the sauce later.
- Add 250 grams of whipping cream and simmer over low to medium heat. Remember to stir regularly and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- After about five to ten minutes, the cream sauce is ready and can be served. If you have decided against the roux, it is important that you mix it with the sauce thickener according to the instructions on the package.
- You should add this about two to three minutes before the end of the cooking time and let it cook.
Modify recipe – cream sauce with other ingredients
You can change the cream sauce recipe as you wish. We present you with a few ideas:
- Try the cream sauce with onions and garlic. Add this directly with the butter and fry both. When frying, you should add butter or an oil, such as canola oil, even without the roux.
- You can also fry boiled ham or mushrooms or other vegetables such as peppers.
- A cream sauce with ham and peas also tastes good and is great with pasta.
- You can also vary the spices and cook with a little mustard and refine the sauce with numerous herbs, such as marjoram, basil, parsley, and oregano.
- Instead of whipped cream or in addition to this, you can also stir in milk, crème fraîche, sour cream, processed cheese, or cream cheese. This gives your sauce a particularly creamy consistency.