In this practical tip, we explain how you learn to eat slowly. We will give you the best tips and tricks for this. In the article, we also discuss why it is so important to eat slowly and unhurriedly.
Learning to eat slowly: You should pay attention to this
In our hectic everyday life, there is often little time for a quiet and enjoyable meal. It is particularly important for your health to eat slowly. If you eat slower, you will feel full faster. This also affects the weight. This reduces the risk of being overweight. Indigestion is also reduced because the stomach is not overloaded by wolfing down food. It’s important to remember that eating slowly is a lot more fun because you can enjoy it more. This in turn reduces stress. As you can see, it makes sense to learn how to eat slowly. Here are our tips.
- The simplest and at the same time most important tip first: Take your time for the meal. It should be at least 20 minutes. During this time, you focus entirely on the food. Enjoy with all your senses. Notice the look, taste, smell, and texture on the tongue. Put away your smartphone and turn off the TV.
- Eat small bites and chew portions twenty times. This may seem strange at first, but it helps your gastrointestinal tract digest food better. As a result, symptoms such as abdominal cramps or diarrhea after eating are less likely to occur.
- Sit down to eat – preferably at a table. This will help you mentally to eat more slowly. Those who eat while standing or walking, on the other hand, tend to gulp down more.
- If possible, eat your meal in an environment that is comfortable for you and from which you do not want to flee as quickly as possible. In an uncomfortable place, it’s almost impossible to fully focus on and enjoy the food.
- Use smaller plates that don’t fit large portions. This prevents you from opening up huge mountains of food.
- A good trick is to put the cutlery back on the table after each bite and only pick it up again when you’ve swallowed it.
- The last tip: cook yourself with high-quality products. This will make you appreciate the food more, which will surely make you want to enjoy it more.