This vegetable is suitable for low-carb fries
French fries, especially if they’re made with a decent amount of fat, don’t necessarily top the list of low-calorie foods. But there are variants that are just as tasty but have significantly fewer calories.
- Low-carb fries made from sweet potatoes have the advantage over normal potatoes that they have little fat and carbohydrates and the blood sugar level rises comparatively slowly. As a result, you have a significantly longer feeling of satiety, eat less, and ultimately save calories.
- The Hokkaido pumpkin has few calories and can also be processed into low-carb fries.
- Low-carb fries made from swede are one of the closest in appearance to standard fries. Garnished with a great tomato sauce, the kids often don’t even notice that it’s a low-carb version.
- But other types of vegetables, such as celery, zucchini, or beetroot can also be easily processed into low-carb fries. It is particularly important for the taste that the vegetable fries are well seasoned and come out of the oven really crispy.
How to prepare the low-carb fries
First, the vegetables are cut into fine strips. Make sure that the strips are not too thick so that the fries get nice and crispy.
- Then season the vegetables to taste. In addition to salt and pepper, you can also use paprika powder, rosemary, and chili powder as spices.
- Briefly dip the vegetable strips in rapeseed oil before seasoning.
- Now put the fries in the oven for about 25 minutes. Set the temperature to 180 to 200 degrees.
- A low-calorie sauce made from yogurt, freshly pressed garlic cloves, chives, and a little lemon juice tastes good with the low-carb fries.
- Hot air fryers are said to be a lower-calorie preparation method for fries, since they are not fried in an oil bath, and are very trendy at the moment. In our test, you can read which is the best hot air fryer.