Store-bought vegetable broth in cube or powder form contains many additives. The healthy and tasty alternative: Make the paste for vegetable broth yourself without much effort. All you need is your favorite veggies, salt and a blender.
Vegetable broth is ideal for seasoning and serves as the basis for many soups and sauces. The cubes and broth from the supermarket contain few vegetables, but a lot of ingredients that nobody really wants: sugar, flavorings, yeast extract. Homemade vegetable broth paste does not contain any questionable ingredients and tastes much more natural.
If you want to make dried vegetable broth yourself, you will quickly realize that it takes a lot of effort. In addition, a lot of energy has to be put into the DIY vegetable broth, since the vegetables have to be dried in the oven for a long time.
The variant in which the vegetables are not dried but preserved with salt is simpler – and tastes more intense. The vegetable broth paste can then be stored in the refrigerator for a few months.
Make vegetable broth yourself – the ingredients
For two medium-sized screw-top jars you will need:
- ½ celeriac
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 leek
- 2 small onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ bunch of lovage
- ½ bunch parsley
- 1 box cress
- 75 grams of salt
Make vegetable broth yourself – the instructions
- Wash the vegetables, peel if necessary and then cut into cubes.
- Wash and pluck the herbs as well.
- Put the vegetables, herbs and salt in the chopper and then briefly puree with the hand blender.
- Pour the finished paste into clean screw-top jars and store in the fridge.
Tips for the homemade vegetable broth paste
- If you want to give your vegetable broth paste an Asian touch, you can add ginger, coriander and chili. Spring onions, parsley roots, mushrooms, Italian herbs, lemon zest and dried tomatoes also go well in the vegetable broth paste.
- No matter how you vary – in the end there should be a good 10 grams of salt per 100 grams of vegetables so that the paste does not spoil.
- Always use a clean spoon to scoop out the paste.
- Two teaspoons of the vegetable stock paste make 500 ml of ready-made vegetable stock.