- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 8 Hot peppers, red, long, hot (see note)
- 20 g Galangal, fresh or frozen
- 20 g Lemongrass, fresh or frozen
- 30 g Onions, small, red
- 10 medium sized Cloves of garlic, fresh
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes, fully ripe
- 8 g Shrimp paste (terasi udang)
- 3 tbsp Sunflower oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Anise powder, (star anise)
- 1 tsp Clove powder
- 0,5 tsp Cardamom powder
Toast the seeds:
- Heat a wok or a small pan without oil, heat the coriander and cumin seeds while stirring until they are fragrant. Take out and pour into a cutter.
- Wash the peppers, remove the stem and leave the grains. Cut crosswise into pieces approx. 5 mm wide. Remove the grains if the heat is less sharp.
- Wash the galangal, chop for better peeling. Peel, cut crosswise into thin slices, cut out the brown eyes and discard. Chop the slices into small cubes. Weigh and thaw frozen goods.
- Wash the fresh lemongrass, remove the hard stalk at the lower end (see A + B), remove the brown and withered leaves (see C) and only use the white to white-green parts (see C, knife tip) . Cut this into thin slices (see D). Remove the outer, green leaves if necessary (see E + F). Weigh and thaw frozen goods.
Onion and Garlic Processing:
- Cap the onions and garlic cloves at both ends, peel and cut into small pieces.
- Remove the stem from the tomatoes, quarter them lengthways, remove the green stalk and cut it into thirds crosswise.
Shrimp paste processing:
- Cut the shrimp paste from the block and crumble it finely.
- Heat a wok with the sunflower oil. Add the onions, garlic and lemongrass. Pan stir for 1 minute. Mix in galangal. Pan stir for another 1 minute. Add the pepperoni and the shrimp paste. Pan stir for 2 minutes.
Puree and boil down:
- Remove from heat and let cool down. Add to the roasted seeds in the cutter, along with the tomatoes and spices. At the highest setting, cut into a homogeneous paste in 2 minutes. Season with salt, return to the wok and reduce to a thick paste.
Use soon or freeze:
- For early use, put the hot paste in a sterile jar with a screw cap, cover with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and store in the refrigerator or deep-freeze in portions.
- If the peppers are mild, add at least 5 red chillies, cut into small pieces with grains.
Serving: 100gCalories: 21kcalCarbohydrates: 2.6gProtein: 0.3gFat: 1g