In this practical tip, we will tell you how to make vegetable stock yourself. You can conjure up a delicious base for soups in no time at all.
Homemade vegetable stock – that’s how it works
With a vegetable stock, you have prepared yourself, you can cook delicious soups, ragouts, or sauces. With this recipe you are guaranteed to succeed with the vegetable stock:
- The ingredients: 400 g celeriac, 1 leek, 400 g carrots, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 3 sprigs of parsley, 1 sprig of thyme, 1-2 bay leaves, 3 sprigs of lovage, 2 cloves, 2 juniper berries, 2 allspice berries, 1 teaspoon black and 2 tbsp salt.
- Peel the celeriac and the carrots and then cut both into large pieces.
- Clean the leeks and cut them into pieces of about 3 cm.
- Halve the unpeeled onion and tomato.
- Put the vegetables with all the spices and herbs in a large saucepan and boil them with 3.5 liters of water.
- Let everything simmer on low heat for at least 1 hour.
- Finally, pour the vegetable stock through a sieve and collect the liquid in a saucepan.
Vegetable stock and vegetable broth – that’s the difference
Vegetable stock and vegetable broth are fundamentally similar. Nevertheless, there is a small but subtle difference:
- The vegetable stock has a longer cooking time than vegetable broth. As a result, the stock tastes much more intense and contains less water than the broth.
- With a vegetable broth, you can usually process the various ingredients further. With the stock, the vegetables can no longer be used for other dishes due to the long cooking time.