Dampness in a basement or cellar is a dangerous “neighbor” that can not only destroy your supplies for the winter but also cause respiratory problems if you have to stay underground for a while.
Why is there a lot of moisture in the basement – causes
Most often, condensation can be seen on the walls and ceiling of the room underground. As a rule, there are several reasons for this phenomenon:
- poor ventilation (poorly laid floor slabs and construction debris block the ventilation ducts);
- Groundwater level increases (because of bad drainage water accumulates in the underground storage tanks);
- capillary penetration of moisture from the soil or through cracks (construction of foundations with violations of technology).
If you see condensation on the walls and ceiling, as well as smell damp, then be sure – soon mold and fungus will appear in the room. Then the temperature regime will be disturbed and harmful microorganisms to humans will begin to appear. In addition, because of mold and mildew the integrity of the finishing of the cellar will be violated – the walls and ceiling will begin to crumble.
How to remove dampness in the basement of a private house
In order to understand what exactly caused the appearance of dampness in the basement, carefully inspect the room:
- a puddle on the floor – an increase in the water table;
- water droplets on the walls and ceiling – ventilation problems;
- water droplets on the walls – violation of basement waterproofing.
An effective method of getting rid of condensation on the walls and ceiling is to insulate the utilities. Make a protective cover of mineral wool, foam, and extruded polystyrene foam on sewer or water pipes. You can also install ventilation ducts or pipes – exhaust and supply. Make it in different corners of the room, so that there was a draft and the room blew.
How to dry the cellar with lime – tips
This method is necessary if the moisture enters the cellar through the walls, from them – to the floor, and then evaporates. It is best to concrete the floor and walls with liquid glass and roofing, and if the floor is clay, then:
- remove the top layer of clay about 5 cm thick;
- level the floor surface and cover it with two layers of the waterproofing film;
- Cover it with clay or pour concrete on top and level the surface.
If you see that the basement waterlogging is seasonal, then use the following algorithm of action:
- Mound a layer of sand or gravel on the floor with a thickness of about 10 cm;
- Treat the walls with waterproofing plaster;
- in the corners of the cellar place glass jars with calcium chloride;
- Sprinkle a 1 cm layer of quicklime on the floor.
Be careful – for the time of treatment of the basement with lime, it is better to leave the room. Vapors of the substance will actively fight against harmful microorganisms, but they are toxic to humans. At the end of the procedure, it is better to open the basement or cellar and ventilate for several hours.
How to quickly drain the basement from dampness – folk methods
Fighting dampness in the basement – a laborious, but necessary process, during which you can also use some “grandmotherly” methods:
You need to heat 2-3 red bricks over a fire and place them in different corners of the basement. When the bricks start to cool, they will absorb moisture. If you want to achieve the maximum effect – repeat the procedure several times.
Vinegar and boric acid
This option of getting rid of mold has proven itself well. Try treating the walls of the cellar or basement with acetic or boric acid. It should be diluted in water – 20 ml of the substance per 1 liter of water. Alternatively, you can use citric acid – 100 grams of powder per 1 liter of water.
As an additional measure, it won’t be superfluous to remove all products and important things from the room, leaving an empty space. Then treat the walls with hydrochloric acid, and then whitewash them.