For the holidays or just for fun, you can treat yourself and make jerky at home. In addition, jerky is stored much longer than fresh meat. It is not necessary to buy ready-made products in the store – anyone can master the technology of its production, if you follow our recommendations.
Jerky – types and methods
The technology of curing meat – is an ancient way of preserving it. Previously, when the hunter brought home a whole animal carcass, it was necessary to prepare it so that it “lived” as long as possible. That’s when they came up with the idea of drying it. Thanks to natural preservatives in the form of spices and seasonings, and precautions, you will be able to make a delicious and safe product.
It is worth remembering that it is better to buy beef or poultry for curing. About pork experienced hostesses are skeptical about – it is more susceptible to infection with parasites, and the curing process does not involve heat treatment. If you’ve decided that you want to dry pork, buy the meat only from proven suppliers and follow the technology.
There are three methods of curing meat:
In the first case, you need:
- cut the meat into thick pieces (500-800 g);
- Prepare a brine (1 liter of water – at least 5 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, 5 pieces of oregano pepper, 4-5 pieces of bay leaf);
- boil the mixture, cool it down, and strain it;
- pour the brine into a glass container, put meat in it, and place in the fridge for 3 days, periodically turning the pieces;
- take out the meat and put it under a burden for 1 hour to remove excess moisture.
The second method of salting requires the following steps:
- Place the sliced meat in a container;
- Fill with salt so that it completely covers the meat (some housewives add 1-2 spoons of cognac);
- put in a refrigerator for 3-4 days, sometimes turning over pieces;
- Take out the meat, wash it, and dry it.
The third way – combined – is unique in such actions:
- meat, cut into pieces of 500-800 grams, soak in a salt solution, as in the “dry” method;
- then soak it in a mixture for 10-12 hours (red wine or apple cider vinegar – 150-200 grams, salt – 1 tablespoon per 1 liter of liquid, minced garlic);
- Take out the solution and cover it with a cloth, so that it absorbs the excess liquid.
After these manipulations, you can proceed to cure the meat according to the chosen recipe.
Jerky meat – pork
- – 1 kg;
- salt – 100 gr;
- pepper, spices – to taste.
Wash a whole piece of meat under running water, dry and rub it with salt so that it completely covers the pork. Put it into a glass or ceramic bowl: do not use metal ones, as they can oxidize. Put a plate and a weight on top of it and place the meat in the fridge for 3 days, turning it periodically.
After this time, take out the meat and blot out the rest of the brine. Generously rub with spices, fold the gauze into three layers, and wrap it tightly around the pork. Tie up with a thick rope or twine and hang in a cool place for 5-7 days.
Jerky – beef
- Beef loin – 1 kg
- Salt – 70 gr + 1 tsp.
- Fenugreek – 5 tsp.
- Paprika – 3 tsp.
- Garlic powder – 2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – 2-3 units
Put the beef into a glass container, rub with salt, wrap in clingfilm, and put it into the fridge for 3 days. Every day take out the meat, rub it again with salt, and drain the liquid.
On the fourth day, put the meat into a container with cold water and leave it to soak for 3 hours. Cover the oven rack with paper towels, lay the meat, lay the towels on top again, and put a cutting board with a load. In this position, the meat should spend 1-1.5 hours. Tie beef with a string and hang it in a cold room for 3 days.
In a separate bowl mix all the spices and boiling water to make a thick paste. Wait until it cools, and cover the beef with it. Periodically renew the layer, so that the meat was well saturated, and leave it for 1.5-2 weeks. After that, you can serve it.
- Chicken fillet – 500 gr.
- Dry spices – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 2 tablespoons.
Rinse and dry the chicken fillet, put it in a glass dish, rub it with salt, and leave it in the fridge for 12 hours. Take the bird, rinse, and dry it with paper towels.
Rub the chicken with spices on all sides, wrap the gauze in several layers, and tie it tightly with string. Put it in the fridge for 12 hours, and then put it on the balcony for 2-5 days. After this time, you can slice and taste.