Cooking rice properly is sometimes not that easy. Especially if you want fluffy rice for an Asian dish. That is why in this article we will show you some subtleties so that you always get the perfect rice.
Cooking rice the right way made easy
Rice is one of the easiest foods to prepare, but cooking it properly can be difficult for even the best cooks.
- When preparing it, you should note which type of rice it is, because it depends on the type of preparation.
- Long grain rice like basmati needs to be rinsed before cooking.
- Brown rice takes more water than white rice to cook and takes more time.
- Short-grain rice for risotto can usually be prepared with the vegetables added.
- Before preparing the rice, always follow the instructions on the packaging, which usually clearly state how the rice you have chosen is to be cooked.
Tricks for the perfect preparation
With a few simple tips and tricks, you can always prepare the rice correctly and easily. Here are some of them:
- Rinse the rice – no matter how clean the rice looks, washing for 20 seconds can remove some of the dust that gets stuck to the grains during production.
- The 1:2 rule – to ensure your rice is properly cooked, always mix 1 part rice with 2 parts water. The easiest way to do this is with one cup: put one cup of rice in the saucepan and add two cups of water.
- Use a wooden spoon if you want to stir the rice.
- Always prepare the rice on low heat.
- Saucepan – use a deep saucepan with a lid to keep the cooking temperature stable.
- Rice cooker – the rice cooks almost by itself and tastes like the original and not like the meal that was previously in the saucepan. You can read more advantages in our current test report on the best rice cooker.
Step-by-step instructions for the perfect rice
Cooking rice can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes depending on the variety you choose. Depending on these, you may see different descriptions of the exact rice preparation that you need to follow. The general way of preparing regular white rice should include the following steps:
- Prepare the desired amount of rice and wash it with water.
- Put twice the amount of water in a saucepan and add ¼ tsp salt.
- Let the water boil and then add the rice.
- Turn the stove to low heat and cover the pot with a lid.
- When you see the water start to boil, open the lid slightly.
- After about 12-13 minutes, depending on the rice you chose, you can use a wooden spoon to try if the rice is done.