Eating Fly Agaric: How Poisonous It Really Is

It is common for many people to gather plenty of mushrooms in autumn. But you should pay particular attention to the fly agaric. You can find out how dangerous the type of mushroom is and whether you can eat it in our practical tip.

Eating fly agaric – that’s why it can be dangerous

The fly agaric is described as poisonous because it contains powerful psychoactive substances.

  • These lead to various symptoms after consumption and put the person in a state of intoxication with complete confusion.
  • Muscle twitching often occurs alongside nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  • If the effect is very strong, it can even lead to seizures and eventually to fainting.
  • The effects of toadstool can become apparent as little as half an hour after eating and can last for several hours.
  • Usually, the symptoms disappear after a day.
  • However, you should still seek medical help, as the severity of the consequences is unpredictable and medical care may be necessary.

This is how toadstools can be eaten

While toadstools are considered dangerous, they are still considered a delicacy in some places.

  • The fly agaric is considered a specialty in Japan and other Asian countries.
  • She has disappeared from German restaurants because the risk of symptoms after eating is too high.
  • During preparation, the red surface of the mushroom is removed and the rest is then crushed and placed in water for at least 24 hours.
  • The individual pieces can then be fried in the pan.
  • However, you should urgently refrain from trying it yourself.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top