For the shiitake mushroom water:
- 6 tbsp Peanut oil, refined
- 4 small Shiitake mushrooms, dried
- 150 g Water
- 1 tsp Chicken broth, instant
For the bath water:
- 1 liter Water
- 15 g Salt
- 1 tsp Citric acid, crystalline
For the Udayana sauce:
- 5 small Onions, red, (bawang merah)
- 3 medium-sized Cloves of garlic, fresh
- 2 small Chillies, red
- 10 g Turmeric, fresh or frozen, alternatively 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 5 g Shrimp paste (terasi, cut from the block)
- 2 tbsp Shrimp, dried
- 1 tsp Fish sauce, light
- 80 g Coconut milk, creamy
- Mushroom water, everything (see preparation)
- 2 tbsp Peanut oil, refined
- Chicken broth, instant
- Black pepper from the mill
- Celery leaves, fresh or frozen
- Pepperoni threads, red
- Wash the aubergines, cap both ends and cut across into approx. 1cm thick slices. Soak in bath water (which removes the bitter substances from the aubergine) for 15 minutes, remove, drain and dry on a fresh tea towel.
- Heat a pan, add the peanut oil and let it heat up to smoke. Brown the aubergine slices on one side, but do not even roast them. Provide.
For the mushroom water:
- For the mushroom water, heat the water, dissolve the instant broth and soak the shiitake mushrooms in it for 30 minutes. Squeeze the stock out of the mushrooms and add to the mushroom water. Cut the mushroom caps into small pieces, discard the tough, hard stems. Put the mushroom pieces back in the mushroom water and have them ready.
- The Udayana sauce:
- Cap the onions and garlic cloves for the Udayana sauce at both ends, peel and roughly cut into pieces. Wash the small, red chillies, cut them lengthways, remove the grains and quarter them crosswise. Discard the stem and grains. Heat a medium-sized pan, add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Add the onion and garlic pieces and roast until the onion pieces are translucent. Add the chillies, turmeric slices, shrimp paste (terasi) and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from heat, deglaze with coconut milk, let cool down a bit and puree finely in the blender.
- Squeeze the broth from the mushroom pieces again. Pour the mixture from the blender into a sufficiently large pan. Mix in the dried prawns (shrimps). Rinse the blender with the mushroom water and add the rinsing stock to the pan. Add the shiitake mushroom pieces and mix in.
- Put the eggplant slices provided in the Udayana sauce with the browned side up. Simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on.
Garnish and Serve:
- Put in a serving bowl, garnish and serve with white rice.