A cappuccino or latte macchiato needs a well-frothed crown of milk. In this practical tip, you can read which milk is best suited for this purpose and how you can froth it up best.
Frothing milk: That’s what matters
If you want to froth milk, it is particularly important to choose the right milk. The temperature also decides later on the result.
- You can easily froth any milk. The type of milk is only reflected in the taste and the consistency of the foam.
The longer-lasting UHT milk makes the milk froth appear rather tasteless.
- If you use pasteurized milk, also known as fresh milk, you will get a firmer foam than with other types of milk.
- Just try both and decide for yourself which milk you like best.
- Temperature: Pay attention to the right temperature and you will get a light, creamy milk froth. This is ideal for your cappuccino or latte macchiato as it mixes wonderfully with the coffee.
- While frothing milk, the temperature should be between 65 and 75 degrees Celsius.
- You should store the milk in the refrigerator beforehand so that it is between two and eight degrees Celsius cold.
Devices for frothing milk: Different methods
There are various devices that you can use to froth milk.
- Stovetop: Heat some milk in a small saucepan on the stovetop. In order not to exceed the optimal temperature, it is best to check it with a kitchen thermometer.
- Now take a whisk and beat the milk vigorously for a few minutes. Hold the whisk handle between both hands and quickly twist it back and forth.
- This method works much more effortlessly with an electric milk frother. However, make sure that the handle of the device is made of metal. That’s the only way it’s heat resistant.
- If you don’t have such a device at hand, simply use a hand blender. However, you should note that it is either heat-resistant or made of metal.
- Automatic milk frother: The easiest way is to use a fully automatic milk frother. Simply fill in the milk and select the desired program.
- There are two variants, some devices consist of one part. This means that cleaning later is more complex, so care must be taken to ensure that no moisture gets into the electronics.
- But there are also milk frothers made of two components. These heat an extra container with induction waves. This can then be easily cleaned by hand or in the dishwasher.