A huge number of people suffer from back, lower back, or neck pain due to uncomfortable office chairs or improper body positioning while working. There are also some other reasons why you may feel uncomfortable at the end of the day.
Why does sitting hurt your back – causes
There are several answers to one of the most pressing questions. Unpleasant sensations in the body appear due to:
- Improper body position – you do not control your posture and the load on the skeleton is distributed unevenly;
- working with gadgets – most often you are typing on a smartphone or laptop while leaning over the device;
- Uncomfortable office chair – rigid materials and a backrest without spinal support put the body under constant strain.
Also, the cause of neck pain can also be a bad habit – smoking. The fact is that nicotine dehydrates the intervertebral discs, which dislocates the vertebrae. Blood flow is also hampered, so if you smoke and do not plan to lead a healthy lifestyle, doctors recommend every 15-20 minutes to check how your neck and back feel.
How to help your back while sitting – exercises
The following elements of gymnastics will be suitable not only for office workers, but also for drivers of public transport, and salespeople. In general – all those who spend most of their time sitting.
In order for your well-being to improve and the pain to disappear, do the following steps every hour:
- Relax your cervical spine – stand up straight and rotate your head back and forth, clockwise, counterclockwise, and then in a circle;
- Stretch your shoulders and back – rotate your arms clockwise and anti-clockwise, repeating the exercise 4 times;
- Stretch the torso – do bends, body rotations to the left and right, tilt the pelvis;
- Work on your legs – squat as much as you can, and lunge forward, knees, and ankles.
It won’t be superfluous to walk to work instead of taking public transportation. It is also better to walk up and down stairs instead of using the elevator. Additionally, doctors recommend you join a gym or a swimming pool so that your spine, joints, and muscles get regular exercise – so they will be stronger and more resilient.