A type of mold, Penicillium roqueforti, is considered beneficial to humans in limited quantities. Cheese with mold is a great addition to wines, and the most important thing is to learn how to choose it correctly. But for some reason, many people refuse to eat this cheese, believing that it is harmful and even dangerous.
Nutritionist Anna Kashpour on her Instagram page talked about all the beneficial properties of cheese with mold, and also clarified who can and cannot eat it.
“We encounter mold quite often in everyday life. The mold that appears on bread, other foods, and damp rooms is really dangerous for human health,” explained Anna.
“A type of mold, Penicillium roqueforti, is considered beneficial to humans in limited quantities. It contains a natural antibiotic that kills pathogenic microorganisms,” the nutritionist said.
Why is cheese with mold useful?
- high level of protein and calcium content
- improves the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract
- helps to strengthen the heart muscle
- slows down the aging process
“Thanks to the presence of a noble fungus in cheese, calcium is absorbed by the body to the maximum extent possible,” the expert said.
Who is recommended to eat cheeses with mold?
“I recommend eating it for teenagers during the period of intensive growth. Since it is the “tandem” of phosphorus and calcium that prevents bone fractures that occur during adolescence,” the expert said.
How many of these cheeses can you eat per day?
“If you are, for example, on a diet, then the daily allowance is 70 grams,” the expert noted.