Mustard substitutes are not easy to find. However, a few foods will help you replace the condiment. In this article, we explain what you can find in the kitchen as an alternative to mustard.
Mustard Substitute: Hot spices as an alternative to mustard
If you are looking for a mustard substitute, the tools are usually already available in the kitchen.
- Mustard gives your dishes a sweet and spicy taste. If you want to replace it, choose spicy spices.
- For example, use horseradish or a wasabi paste to mimic the spiciness of mustard. Pepper or chili also gives the dish a portion of spiciness.
- If you want something sweet, add a small amount of honey. Alternatively, agave syrup or rice syrup also works.
- To mimic the taste of Dijon mustard, a small dash of white wine vinegar is enough in addition to the hot spices.
- You can also make your mustard.