English plum pudding recipe – ingredients needed
For Christmas in England, a plum pudding or Christmas pudding is traditionally served as dessert on December 25th. You can also use this recipe to prepare the Christmas dessert. You need the following ingredients:
- 250 g sultanas (or raisins), 100 g currants, and 125 g prunes
- 100 g orange peel and 100 g lemon peel
- 100 g hazelnuts (grated) and 120 g breadcrumbs and 100 g flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 apples
- 5 tbsp baking cocoa
- of spices: 1/2 tsp ground clove, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 pinch nutmeg, 1 pinch pepper,
- 90 g margarine or vegetable fat and 125 g butter
- 60 g brown sugar and 125 g white sugar
- 3 tablespoons of rum and an additional 3 tablespoons of rum as an ingredient for the rum sauce
Preparation of the plum pudding
First, gather all the ingredients and have them ready to hand. Allow four and a half hours for the preparation.
- Chop the prunes into small pieces, place them in a bowl with the sultanas, currants, and 3 tablespoons of rum and leave to stand for an hour (or overnight).
- Chop the orange peel and lemon peel and dice the apples. Mix the ingredients with the soaked dried fruit.
- Grease a pudding mold and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Squeeze a lemon and add the juice and some zest to the ingredients in the bowl.
- Add the spices, flour, sugar, eggs, chopped fat, ground hazelnuts, breadcrumbs, and cocoa and mix well with a hand mixer or food processor.
- Now fill the pudding mixture and the mold and seal it with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Put a large pot of water on and let the pudding mold cook in the water bath for 3 hours. If necessary, add hot water regularly.
- Now for the rum sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sugar, let the mixture cook for a minute, and then add the rum. Take the pot off the stove.
- Let the pudding cool and carefully turn it out onto a plate. Pour the sauce over the plum pudding or serve it separately.