Schüttelbrot – required ingredients for the recipe
Schüttelbrot is a crispy flatbread that is particularly widespread in South Tyrol. The following ingredients are required for the production:
- 350 grams of rye flour
- 1 packet of dry yeast or 1/2 cube of fresh yeast
- 150 grams of wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp anise
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 650 ml water
- wheat bran
How to prepare the bread
When you have all the ingredients together, you can start making the Schüttelbrot.
- First, put half of the yeast in a bowl with 150 ml of warm water and dissolve it in it. The ideal temperature of the water is 30°C, you can check this with a thermometer.
- Now add 150 g of the rye flour to the yeast-water mixture and stir until you get a smooth dough. This must then be left in a warm place and covered for about an hour.
- Then dissolve the other half of the yeast in about 50 milliliters of water. This should also be 30°C.
- After the hour has passed, mix the yeast-water mixture with the dough and also add the remaining ingredients and the remaining water. Stir the mixture well with a wooden spoon and then let it rise for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the dough must be kneaded thoroughly by hand and then divided into six equal pieces. Shape these into a loaf pan with your hands, then place them on a floured surface and let rest for another 20 minutes.
- Then you can start shaking the dough. For this, you need a wooden board. This should be as big and round as possible.
- Now place one portion of the dough at a time on the board. Rotate the board in a circle and use jerky movements to move it up and down so that the dough runs across it. It should be about half an inch thick.
- If the “shaking” doesn’t work so well, you can also shape the flatbread using a rolling pin or your hands.
- After that, put wheat bran on a baking sheet and put two loaves of bread on it. These now have to go into the oven for 25 to 30 minutes at 210°C top and bottom heat. When the loaves are golden brown, they are done.