Avoid sugar: is honey the better alternative?
If you want to lose weight or eat healthier, sooner or later you will ask yourself whether honey is an alternative to sugar. The natural sweetness not only tastes good in tea but can also be used when baking and preparing food. So is it better to use honey instead of sugar?
- Honey contains various minerals and vitamins, such as vitamin C and magnesium. However, the salary is negligible, so you can hardly cover your daily needs with it.
- There are around 330 calories in 100 grams of honey and around 387 calories in sugar. For this reason, honey does not offer a really big advantage in terms of weight loss.
Sweeten with honey – you should pay attention to that
If you still want to use honey as a sugar substitute, you should pay attention to a few things when sweetening your food.
- The sweetening power of honey is significantly higher than that of sugar. This means you don’t have to use the same amount of honey for the same sweetness.
- The taste also plays a major role, because honey has a strong taste of its own that is not equally suitable for all dishes.
- Also note that you shouldn’t just replace the sugar with honey in the same amount. The reason: honey consists of around 20 percent water, which can falsify the result.
Honey or sugar – which is the better choice?
Which variant you choose is ultimately a question of taste.
- Honey has an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect, which is why it is often used for colds. However, honey is not considered healthy and light food, which is why you should not prefer it to sugar for health reasons alone.
- However, it is also a fact that, unlike sugar, honey can contain vitamins and minerals, even if the content is low. So if you like honey anyway, this may be a good substitute.
- Despite being high in calories, honey can play a role in weight loss because you need to use far less of it to get the same sweetness. So there is a lot to be said for honey, even if the vitamins it contains can by no means replace fresh fruit and vegetables.