If you need a substitute for almond flour, there are many alternatives. This flour plays a particularly important role in low-carb diets. In this article, we will tell you which varieties are also suitable and more environmentally friendly.
Substitute for almond flour: These types of flour are ideal
You should use an alternative, not only if you don’t have any almond flour at home. With the purchase of this type of flour you also support some environmentally harmful factors.
- Coconut flour: Like almond flour, coconut flour is gluten-free. In addition, it contains a lot of dietary fiber. It is ideal for baking cakes, bread, and tarts. However, you should make sure that the sweet taste matches the other ingredients.
- Wholemeal Amaranth Flour: This flour is also very popular, especially for making pizza or choux pastry. It has a rather nutty taste and absorbs a lot of liquid. Therefore, you should make sure to add enough liquid to the dough.
- Linseed flour: This flour is also a perfect low-carb alternative. It has a slightly nutty flavor and is high in omega-3 fatty acids. You can use the flour to thicken sauces or for smoothies. When baking, you should only replace about 20% of the required amount of flour with this variant.
- Soy flour: This alternative, also gluten-free, is often used for bread and pastries. There are different types of flour: defatted with around 1% fat and full-fat with around 20% fat.
- Walnut Flour: This substitute is also gluten-free. It also contains a lot of protein and fiber. With the delicious nutty taste, this flour is perfect for bread, cakes, and biscuits.
- Chestnut flour: This flour is also one of the gluten-free flour alternatives and is therefore low-carb. It is made from sweet or sweet chestnuts and tastes sweet and nutty.
Make almond flour yourself: This is how it works
As a substitute, you not only have the choice of different types of flour. You can also make the almond flour yourself. All you need is natural almonds and a suitable blender.
- First, you need to blanch the almonds. To do this, soak them in water overnight.
- Then boil the almonds in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now remove the shell of the nuts. Then you have to let them dry well. This can take a few hours.
- Now put the almonds in a blender and set it to the highest level. After about a minute, the nuts should have turned into almond flour.
- Now you can continue to use the homemade flour or fill it in suitable, airtight containers. It will keep in the fridge for about 5-6 months.