For the baby rips
- 800 g Babyribs, (from pork, meaty cut)
For the hot marinade:
- 200 g Sambal Bangkok ala Siu (see note)
- 4 tbsp Kecap Tim Ikan (see note)
- 20 g Ginger, fresh or frozen
- 4 Cloves of garlic, fresh
- 4 tbsp Cut celery stalks, fresh or frozen (alternatively flat leaf parsley)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 500 g Tomato juice
- 1 Cinnamon stick, approx. 8 cm long
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Msp Cardamom seeds
- 2 tsp Chicken broth, Kraft bouillon
For the BBQ sauce:
- 8 tbsp Barbecue sauce, smoky
- 1 tbsp Sambal Bangkok ala Siu, (see note)
- 2 tbsp Balinese mango syrup ala Ayu (see note)
- 2 tbsp Marinade, (after cooking)
- 2 tbsp Ginger slices, from the marinade (see preparation)
- 1 medium sized Clove of garlic, fresh
- 0,5 Hot peppers, red, long, mild
- 0,5 Sesame seeds, white
- 0,5 Flowers and leaves
- Cut the baby ribs into pieces of 2 bones each. Cut the fresh, washed and peeled ginger crosswise into thin slices. Weigh and thaw frozen goods. Cap, peel and squeeze the garlic cloves at both ends. Rinse off the fresh celery, pluck the leaves and freeze deep. Cut the stalks into approx. 3 mm wide rolls. For the fresh lemon juice, wash one lemon, cut it in half crosswise and squeeze out the halves.
- Mix all ingredients for the hot marinade in a 3 liter saucepan. Place the baby ribs in the marinade and add enough water to cover all the baby ribs. Bring the marinade to a simmer. Simmer with the lid on for 120 minutes, stirring and layering occasionally.
- Strain the baby ribs and let them cool a little. Then remove any attached ginger slices and let them dry a little in the sieve. Retain 2 tablespoons of the marinade, freeze the rest or discard. Press the cooked ginger slices through a garlic press and use for the BBQ sauce.
The BBQ sauce:
- Cap the garlic clove at both ends, peel and press through a garlic press. Put the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a small saucepan and briefly bring to the boil.
- To garnish, wash the peppers, remove the stem, cut open lengthways, fold open, core, lengthways into thin threads and cut them crossways into small cubes.
Browning, garnishing and serving:
- Brush the baby ribs with the BBQ sauce thinly on one side. Place on a wire rack and grill until golden brown in the oven or on a grill. Place in serving bowls, drizzle with the rest of the BBQ sauce and serve warm as a main course.
- Link for: Sambal Bangkok ala Siu: Sambal Bangkok ala Siu Kecap Tim Ikan: Kecap Tim Ikan - a mild, dark, malty-spicy soy sauce Balinese mango syrup ala Ayu: Balinese mango syrup ala Ayu