Bibimbap is a traditional Korean dish that can be made vegetarian or vegan with a few modifications. In this article, we will tell you what you need and how best to proceed when cooking.
Cooking bibimbap vegan and vegetarian – vegetarian variations
For two portions of the vegetarian version of the dish, you need 150 grams of short-grain rice, 2 small lettuce leaves, 1 small zucchini, 4 brown mushrooms, 1/4 Chinese cabbage, 1 carrot, 1/2 smoked tofu, 4 tablespoons soybean sprouts, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt. For the right sauce, you also need 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons chili paste.
- First, prepare the rice according to the package instructions and set it aside.
- Now turn to the vegetables. First wash the lettuce leaves, as well as the courgettes, mushrooms, and Chinese cabbage. Then cut the vegetables into small strips.
- Also, wash the bean sprouts.
- Now put a little sesame oil in a pan and heat it. Then sauté the vegetables, apart from the lettuce leaves, briefly one after the other, each with a pinch of salt.
- Then pan fry the tofu with sesame oil and soy sauce until crispy.
- Also, fry the eggs into fried eggs.
- Now it’s time for the sauce: Roast the sesame seeds in the pan and then mix them with the other ingredients.
- To serve, divide the rice into two bowls, then divide the vegetables, tofu, and two fried eggs on top.
So it becomes a vegan dish
You can also cook Korean dish vegan. For two servings of this variant, you need 200 grams of mushrooms, 1 carrot, 1/3 cucumber, 2 spring onions, 6 radishes, 600 grams of fresh spinach leaves, 1 clove of garlic, 250 grams of firm tofu, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 150 grams of short-grain rice, sesame seeds, salt, pepper, and gojuchang.
- First, prepare the vegetables. Wash this and then grate the cucumber and carrot into small pieces. Also cut the mushrooms, radishes, and garlic clove into fine slices.
- Then cut the tofu into cubes and cover it with cornstarch.
- Now put some sesame oil in a pan and fry the tofu cubes in it until they are crispy. Then add some soy sauce and continue frying the tofu for about a minute. Then sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
- Then fry the mushrooms and deglaze them with soy sauce.
- Now put a little water in the pan and sauté the garlic in it for about 2-3 minutes. After that, add the spinach and put the lid on the pan. When the spinach has shrunk significantly, you can season it with salt, pepper, and a little soy sauce.
- Then divide the rice into two bowls and spread the vegetables and some sesame seeds on top. Serve the dish with gojuchang.