How to cook asparagus shells properly
When you peel asparagus, the peels often end up in the trash. But with just a few ingredients, you can still cook a practical stock from asparagus shells, which you can use for example for asparagus soup. And this is how you cook asparagus peels:
- Put half a liter of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus peels, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon butter.
- Let everything simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Now pour off the asparagus shells and catch the asparagus water.
- Use the broth as a base for an asparagus soup.
Recipe: Asparagus soup made from asparagus stock
You can now prepare an asparagus soup with the asparagus peel stock you have made yourself. All you need is 250 milliliters of milk, 250 grams of white asparagus, some butter and flour, an egg, and 2 tablespoons of whipped cream.
- Put the asparagus stock in the pot together with the milk and bring everything to a boil.
- Cut the asparagus into small pieces and let the chopped spears cook in the asparagus stock for ten minutes.
- Pour the asparagus through a sieve and collect 500 milliliters of the asparagus stock. Add some water if the liquid is not enough.
- Thicken the asparagus stock with a roux and let the asparagus soup simmer for about five minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Mix an egg yolk with the cream and stir it into the asparagus soup that is no longer boiling.
- Now add the drained asparagus pieces again – and the asparagus soup is ready!