Do you want to lose weight quickly and sustainably? Then potatoes are the perfect slimming product for you – how potatoes can help you lose weight!
Slim food: potatoes – how potatoes can help you lose weight!
Good news for potato fans! You can enjoy the delicious tuber with a clear conscience, even if you want to lose a few pounds. Or rather, especially then. A US study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that potatoes can even help you lose weight.
Potato diet study
The research team wanted to know how calorie restriction and glycemic index (GI) affect weight when potatoes are allowed in a diet program. The glycemic index determines the effect of carbohydrate-containing food on the blood sugar level.
The scientists around Dr. Britt Burton-Freeman from the Illinois Institute of Technology divided 90 overweight women and men into three groups and prescribed different diet programs for twelve weeks.
- So, the first group should reduce calorie intake and cut down on high-GI foods.
- The second group also had to cut back on calorie intake but consumed low-GI foods.
- And the test persons in the third group were allowed to take heart and didn’t have to save calories or pay attention to a specific diet. All three groups were required to eat five to seven healthy meals of potatoes per week.
The result: all participants had lost weight. Also, the participants of the third group, although had eaten potatoes.
However, there were large differences in weight loss between the groups. Interestingly, the participants in the third group also reduced their calorie intake, entirely voluntarily.
How the potato helps you lose weight
- Potatoes contain a lot of potassium, which has a dehydrating effect on our bodies. Water deposits and waste products are flushed out.
- The vitamin C contained in potatoes boosts our fat metabolism.
- Vitamin C also helps to tighten the connective tissue.
- Potatoes also contain an easily digestible plant protein that, together with carbohydrates, keeps you full for longer. Cravings don’t stand a chance!
- The protein also stimulates fat metabolism, which increases calorie consumption!
Conclusion: If the pounds are to tumble successfully, saving calories instead of omitting potatoes is the order of the day. Because they can be part of a weight loss program with a clear conscience – provided, of course, that they are prepared in a healthy way.