Eating lychee properly: We’ll show you how
The following instructions show how you can eat lychee – also known as “lychee” – properly and what you should pay attention to.
- First, remove the stalk by gently prying it out with your thumb and forefinger. Alternatively, remove it with a paring knife.
- Next, remove the peel from the fruit, simply peel it off with your fingers. Proceed as if you were peeling a tangerine.
- Now there is still a seed in the fruit, this is not edible. Halve the lychee around the stone and discard the flesh above.
- You can either eat the white flesh directly or process it in some other way.
Lychee: all about the healthy fruit
The lychee is originally a fruit from southern China and has been cultivated there for over 2,000 years. It is also known there under the name “love fruit”.
- In addition to China, the fruit is also grown in India, South Africa, and Kenya, among other places, and delivered to our markets.
- Lychees grow on trees up to 12 meters tall and can live for thousands of years. Because of their large leaves, which are up to 25 centimeters long, lychee trees have a very bushy shape. They can deliver up to 150 kilograms of fruit per year.
- The fruit contains many healthy ingredients. 100 grams contain around 40 mg of vitamin C, provitamin A, and vitamins B1 and B2. It also contains phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- You can tell whether lychee is ripe by the fact that the skin is pink to dark red and has pimples. Lychees are best eaten fresh, as this is when the taste is most intense. Otherwise, you can store the fruit in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- The taste of the lychee is reminiscent of grapes, and also a little nutmeg. It is sweet and sour with a slightly bitter aftertaste.