Freeze and thaw bacon without losing flavor
It is best if you portion the bacon before freezing. Cut it into thin slices or cubes.
- Lay the slices flat in a freezer bag.
- To be able to easily remove individual slices later, separate them with greaseproof paper.
- To avoid freezer burn, squeeze as much air out of the bags as possible and lay them flat in the freezer.
- Bacon cubes are best frozen in a tin. This will later allow portion-by-portion removal. Use a fork to scrape out the desired amount.
- Store bacon in the freezer for a maximum of six months. After that, it goes rancid due to the high-fat content. Therefore, write the day of freezing on the freezer bag or stick a label on the can.
- To thaw, place the bacon in the refrigerator overnight. This is gentle and the taste is preserved.