Low carb shopping list: protein and mineral products
On a low-carb diet, avoiding carbohydrates is a top priority. In order to guarantee an adequate supply of nutrients for the body, this form of nutrition builds on healthy fats, minerals and vitamins as well as protein. We will show you some indispensable mineral and protein suppliers that strengthen your immune system and contribute to muscle development:
- Chicken eggs are indispensable as a natural and biologically valuable source of protein. They are also rich in iron and calcium and even contain vitamins A, B, D and E.
- Never reach for breaded or marinated meat, as this has usually already been processed with large amounts of flour and sugar. Also, avoid fatty bratwurst or chicken thighs with skin.
- Instead, buy lamb, pork in the form of chops, ham or filet, turkey and chicken, beef (mince, roast, steak, entrecôte) as well as bockwurst at the sausage counter in your supermarket.
- Dairy products with low sugar and fat content are also essential for a low-carb diet. There should be room for crême fraîche, natural yoghurt and low-fat quark in your shopping trolley. With a small portion of natural yoghurt, you can also make your own yoghurt at home.
- You can also buy and enjoy butter and various types of cheese such as Gouda, goat’s cheese, mozzarella or Emmental on a low-carb diet. The same applies to sheep’s, goat’s or cow’s milk.
- Of course, vegans don’t miss out either. For dairy products, you could use rice, almond or soy milk, for example.
Sources of omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation and help protect your heart. They also promote a long-lasting feeling of satiety. Because the body cannot produce omega-3 fatty acids on its own, they must be ingested through food:
- The best sources of these fatty acids are fish and seafood.
- The fact that all types of fish can be eaten on a low-carb diet makes shopping easier. Whether you choose crustaceans, smoked salmon, perch, herring or prawns is up to you.
Low carb: vegetables and fruit for your shopping list
Low-calorie fruits and vegetables have to be used on a low-carb diet in order to be full over a longer period of time and to ensure the supply of nutrients and vitamins. Here is a selection of suitable varieties:
- In any case, keep in mind that many sweet fruits contain too many carbohydrates for this type of diet. On the other hand, various berries, lemons and limes, watermelons, avocados, grapefruits, quinces, peaches, nectarines and apricots as well as kiwis and sour cherries appear particularly suitable.
- While green, low-calorie vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, spinach or fennel) and a number of salads are perfect sources of nutrients, you should clearly stay away from potatoes. Although potatoes are treated as a vegetable, they are taboo on a low-carb diet because of the high carbohydrate content.
- Of course, cabbage and radishes, aubergines, tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, wild garlic, garlic and onions are also allowed in your kitchen.
- We will show you how to dry tomatoes in another article. When dried, the pieces can be easily preserved in oil and are perfect for salads and as a side dish.