Make sugar syrup yourself – this is how the preparation succeeds
Simple syrup is the perfect solution when it comes to sweetening drinks. Since conventional sugar is difficult to dissolve in liquids, the syrup is very suitable for sweetening homemade lemonades, iced coffees, or cocktails. The preparation is very simple. It just depends on the right mixing ratio.
- All you need for the recipe is sugar and water. If the syrup is for cocktails, use a 1 to 1 1/2 mixing ratio (e.g. 500 milliliters of water and 750 grams of sugar). This makes it thicker and the cocktails are not too watery. If using the syrup for baking, use a 1 to 1 ratio.
- Pour the sugar and the water into a suitable saucepan. Mix both ingredients together thoroughly.
- Next, heat the sugar mixture and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat down. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes. Stir them constantly. This will prevent lumps and the burning of the bottom layer of sugar.
- The sugar syrup is ready when the sugar has completely dissolved and the liquid has become clear. Now let the hot syrup cool completely. Then fill it into a glass bottle using a funnel.
- It is best to store the sweetener in the refrigerator. Unopened, it will keep for up to six months. Once opened, consume the syrup within six weeks. If streaks form in the syrup, it is no longer edible.